Saturday, March 21, 2009

So what is surrogacy all about??

I want to tell you more about my journey so far, but I thought it might be helpful to first explain surrogacy. I know most of us have "heard" of surrogacy and in a nutshell know that a woman carries a baby for another woman right? Yes, but there's so much more to it and I get lots of questions (which I don't mind by the way) and thought I would try to explain it to some extent.

There are many aspects to surrogacy, but I'm just going to explain my situation and the choice I've gone with. I have chosen to be a Gestational Surrogate. What this means is that I will carry the baby, but have no genetic link. My intended mother (aka, the mother in which this baby will be carried for) unfortunately has no viable eggs of her own, so she has to find an egg donor. However, her husband will be the biological father. In this situation, what will happen is they will retrieve the egg donor's egg (she will be anonymous and never personally know the intended parents in this situation) and the father's sperm and fertilize in the lab. Once they get two good embryos, they will then transfer them into my uterus. I am simply the oven.

No, there is no sex between husband and surrogate!! At least not in normal surrogate situations. lol It's sad I have to say that, because it does happen that way unfortunately, but I can only answer for my choices. :)

Well, this one was short, sweet and to the point, but I hope answered some questions for you, at least pertaining to me. I will be back soon to tell you more about my journey!!

2 comments:

  1. HI! very interesting and amazing of you to do something like this!!!!! thanks for explaining and certainly keep us posted. so, when is this going to take place?

    God Bless!

    amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amy!! We've had a few roadblocks come up, which is common in surrogacy b/c of all the aspects that go into a surrogacy, however I'm "hoping" in 2 months to do the transfer. :) Thank you for following. I will be posting again soon!

    ReplyDelete